- Industry announcement, Australian specialty coffee -
Melbourne, Australia, March 2014 – Veneziano Coffee Roasters’ new premises in River Street, Richmond (VIC), will be the home of Australia’s first fully integrated and fully featured Diedrich roasting system.
Eagerly anticipating the arrival of the new Diedrich roast equipment, the first turnkey system in Australia, Veneziano managing Director Craig Dickson describes plans for the new and improved roastery as “the biggest and most comprehensive Diedrich roasting facility in Australia to date”.
“The Diedrich roasting technology will enable us to get the absolute best out of our coffee, right down to the cup, which is paramount when you consider we are working with some of the more rare and expensive specialty beans available”, he says.
Veneziano’s new equipment consists of:
- CR-140, a 140kg roaster also known as a “two bag” roaster referring to the volume of two full bags of green beans, with purpose-built functionality for complete control over the roasting process, and
- IR-5, a 5kg roaster known as Diedrich’s in-store roaster, ideal for controllable craft and small batch roasts
Some of a seemingly inexhaustible list of features of Veneziano’s new roasting system are:
- Industry leading automation system for recording roast information, minute by minute monitoring and roast profile analysis, also with the ability to roast in manual mode
- Commercial loader, eliminates the manual handling process of getting beans from the hopper to the drum and saves time between roast batches
- Post-roast cooling bin cyclone
- De-stoner, removes foreign matter from the coffee after it’s roasted and moves the coffee to a storage silo
- Green option, catalytic oxidiser or afterburner; fuel efficient and environmentally friendly as it controls the emissions produced by roasting, eliminating smoke, odour and various other natural bi-products resulting from the roasting process
- Heat exchanger, converts fresh air into hot air to supplement the blue flame (this prevents scorching small batches), reducing gas emissions and allowing greater control over roasting temperatures
- Bag dump station
- Dust filtration at loading (handling green beans can generate dust)
- Blend mixer, a drum for blending varietals with minimal bean breakage
- Silos, for storage and degassing
The new roastery is scheduled for installation at River Street in September, 2014.
About Diedrich - Diedrich Manufacturing is the only US manufacturer of roasting equipment. Started up by the Diedrich family in a tradition steeped in coffee heritage spanning three generations, including a coffee farm in Guatemala, manufacturing commenced in the early ‘80s. Stephan Diedrich together with his wife grew the business over two decades, from building coffee roasting machines in the family garage to manufacturing high end roast equipment for global customers. Stephan continues to strive for innovations in roasting technology today.
Diedrich is responsible for proprietary roasting technology deploying ceramic infrared burners and heat exchangers. This method utilises heated air instead of solely a blue flame burner, resulting in great reductions of the unclean gas emissions that occur during roasting, and giving roasters absolute control over the roasting process. Hence, the Diedrich machines are renowned for superior roasting providing a cleaner cup of coffee. The equipment is built with the best quality materials to ensure longevity with the ability to handle continuous production, and is finished in an attractive retro-industrial design.
Diedrich refer to the commercial roasters as: “small batch precision at industrial scale”.